Thesaurus Files - 09-21-2005 , 11:17 AM
I have provided an .Net component to modify the thesaurus files for Sql
Server FTS. After writing the thesaurus file, I re-start the MSFTESQL
Service and execute a query that will invoke the thesaurus file.
Instead of returning a resultset, I get an event log entry as follows:
Unicode byte order mark (0xFEFF) missing at the beginning of thesaurus file
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
I've tried all sorts of encoding when writing this file but can't seem to
replicate the format required by MSFTESQL Service. If I modify the thesaurus
file directly without using my api, I do not receive the error in the event
log and my search returns the relevant resultset.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can create this unicode byte order mark?
RE: Thesaurus Files - 09-21-2005 , 04:38 PM
For those interested, I managed to get the byte order marker problem working.
In my API, I was encoding the xml files as BigEndian which is 0xFEFF,
however after some digging around in TextPad, I saw that an un-touch (by my
API) file was encoded as unicode. So I switched the encoding and disco, it
If anyone is interested in using my API, let me know.
Re: Thesaurus Files - 09-21-2005 , 09:45 PM
Sure. The XML Thesaurus Files in SQL 2005 (and un-supported by MS in SQL
2000) have always been a under-utilized and little know feature that for
Yukon may have good benefits as populating the files with useful
production-level replacement text is a bit trick and time-consuming. Email
me at jt-kane at Comcast dot net or just post a comment on my blog.
SQL Full Text Search Blog
"Craig" <Craig (AT) discussions (DOT) microsoft.com> wrote