dimension and details about it - 07-16-2004 , 09:38 AM
I've worked with mdx and cubes for only 2 weeks, so excuse me if this
is a silly question.
I'm facing this situation (i use analysis server, if it could be of any help)
I've a cube that calculates data like
id_product, total qty, total $
(this is an example)
I need to generate, (via asp but this is not the matter) a report like
id_product, name of product, dimensions, weight, total qty, total $
I think I have two possibilities
1) create one dimension in the cube for each attribute (name,
dimensions, weight) flat (ie,with no hierarchy) and then select them
via mdx with a crossjoin (4, actually) in the "on rows" clause like
select total qty, total $ on columns,
non empty (crossjoin(crossjoin (idproduct,dimensions),weight) on rows
2) create the cube only with id_product, and then in the asp page
access the db with standard sql to look for details about the
id_product. But this could be slow (one select for each row of the
I'll tell you, I dislike both of this solutions... is there a nice and
simple solution to this problem ?
than you very much,
Re: dimension and details about it - 07-19-2004 , 12:52 AM
This depends on what you need. However here are some remarks:
id_product, name of product, dimensions, weight are all product related,
1. So usually you would put those into a product dimension
2. You would establish a hierarchy of products in the product diemension,
i.e. grouping your products in product families, product groups etc.
3. If the product dimensions and weight are just properties of the products
you can define as member properties of the individual products, i.e. at the
lowest hierarchy level (the leaf level).
4. You can even put those properties into virtual dimensions later.
5. Usually in a cube you would have other dimensions additionally, like the
sales channel, the regions you sell into, the customers you sell to.
"Alberto" <iltrex (AT) libero (DOT) it> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:fe136e10.0407160638.43a1bf69 (AT) posting (DOT) google.com...